Come and de-stress at Stitch DC this Saturday from 2-4 pm. We'll learn how to Fair Isle and Felt. I love the combination because felting airbrushes imperfections away. Exactly what we need during these stressful times!
So here is the purse before felting. And below you'll find our the easy pattern too! We used 1 skein of O-wool classic and 1 Skein of Crystal Palace Taos. Elise is making a second purse with the leftovers!
Another great idea for holiday gifts -- two purses for less than $25 worth of yarn!
Designed by Marie Connolly,
Yarn: 1 skein each of two different skeins of 100% wool.
Sample used: O-Wool Classic for the Main Color and Crystal palace
US 11 circular knitting needles
Gauge: pre felting -- 14 sts and 20 rows=4" in Stockinette stitch.
Cast on 45 stitches with Main Color, place marker, cast on 45 stitches with main color, Place second marker and join round. Knit in the round in stockinette stitch for 3”
Next row join Contrast color and start fair Isle Motif. The repeat is 15 stitches across, so you’ll have 3 repeats on each side.
After working 17 rows of motif, work 1 inch in main color. Next row knit 15, bind off 15, work 30 stitches, bind off 15, knit to end.
HANDLE: Next row: Knit 15, cast on 15 stitches, knit 30, cast on 15 stitches and knit to end. Work 1 more inch and bind off loosely.
Sew bottom seam. Weave in ends.
Now let’s Felt the purse –
1. put in a lingerie bag and wash with a small amount of detergent in Hot Water in washer machine.
2. Wash for about 5 minutes.
3. Stop machine and check purse.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until desired size and texture. The more times you repeat the steps the smaller and tighter it will get. Take care between 3-4 washes as the purse will also felt at a faster rate the more times you wash it.
5. Rinse in cold water.
6. Shape purse and set to dry.
(chart thanks to Amber)
An original design by Marie Connolly. All rights reserved, Copyright 2008. For personal use only.